Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Question of Ethics

In life, I'm the type of person who likes to feel confident in the outcome - regardless of it is - before I role the dice.

I dot my 'i's and cross my 't's. 

I like to know I'm being ethical and looking after all the details.

I've always considered protecting reputation and maintaining ethical behaviour at an organization to be part of my role - regardless of position on the totem pole.

But, what happens when you have a boss who doesn't value this trait?  The type of boss who says, 'get it done, regardless of consequence'.

There is an inherent, underlying tension between get it done and get it done right.  Often, there is a degree of compromise.  But not always.  I have a need to do the right thing - even if it causes delay.

The only practical solution seems to be to recognise the different needs and the roles being played... and to try not to mentally kill each other.  Embracing differences might be the key to survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment