Thursday, February 3, 2011

My life is far from glamorous

Today, a coworker of mine and I laughed as we realised that we weren't expecting to be doing this while we were in university.

The 'this'?  Helping people pack-up their possessions from their flood-damaged apartments.  Hardly the glamorous lifestyle I anticipated when I was in school.

I'd always pictured myself wearing gorgeous clothes, flying around the world and hanging around in limos, drinking champagne.  Did a little bit of that earlier in my career (well, maybe not the fly around the world part, but the rest, I can easily say I did).  Now not so much.

Sure, I still do kinda cool stuff like spend time with well-known political types and some celebrities on occasion, but most of the time, I'm a bit closer to earth.

It's funny how our priorities change throughout life.  Now I think it's more important to make a difference in the community than have the external things that some people believe define their success.  My thoughts might change... especially because non-profit is non-profit for a reason.  But for now, I'm content being un-glamorous.

I do enjoy knowing the work I do makes a difference within our community, and that we show leadership so other places can lead even more change.

So maybe the life I envisioned while in university isn't the life I wanted to live after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment