Sunday, February 20, 2011

Freedom

I have a couple weeks off from work. 

Unfortunately, the first week was spent being sick and tending to the needs of a sick child.  The odd thing was that I didn't mind or notice that the week vanished with very little done.  We were too busy sleeping and trying to get healthy. I had hoped to go to the zoo (one of T's favourite things in the world to do), go to the mountains and visit a few exhibits.  Didn't do any of it.  I figured when we felt healthier, we could go.

Now, we're still housebound, but in a different way.  The clutch went on my car, and it will be repaired on Tuesday (Wednesday, at the latest I hope!).  What does this mean?  Once again, we'll be sitting still, or at the mercy of kindness from family for transportation. 

It's funny.  You don't realise how much you rely on your vehicle or value your ability to just pick up and go until you can't.  As much as I enjoy being with my little guy at home - doing crafts, learning ABC's and 123's and playing with his toys - there's something confining about not being able to just go somewhere - to the grocery store, park etc.

There's a lack of freedom that I haven't experienced in a long time.  Sure we could take the bus places, but the colder temperatures make it difficult to cart the little guy around.  And, suddenly there's a lack of spontaneity.  I can't just go grab a cup of coffee while the boys are gradually starting their morning.  It's an odd, somewhat unsettling feeling.   Thankfully, this lack of freedom is only temporary.

1 comment:

  1. I don't drive and I don't like taking Kai on public transit at this stage, so I empathize! I hope that you've got your wheels back soon.

    ReplyDelete