Saturday, February 12, 2011

Entertainment v.s. Pleasure

Last night, I watched a bit of Eat, Pray, Love.  ('A bit' reflects reality... as a Mom, I rarely watch a movie from start to finish.  At least in one sitting).

A certain part resonated with me.  I couldn't find the actual quotes from the movie, but I found these:
 "Of course, we all inevitably work too hard, then we get burned out and have to spend the whole weekend in our pajamas, eating cereal straight out of the box and staring at the TV in a mild coma (which is the opposite of working, yes, but not exactly the same thing as pleasure)."
"Americans have an inability to relax into sheer pleasure.Ours is an entertainment seeking-nation, but not necessarily a pleasure-seeking one....This is the cause of that great sad American stereotype- the overstressed executive who goes on vacation, but who cannot relax."

This got me thinking: Do we as a society spend too much time looking to be entertained (passive) vs. seeking pleasure (active)?

We become numbed by our hectic lives, don't get a chance to recharge and wonder why all we have the energy for is to be entertained.   We've been running on that proverbial treadmill, unable to see and experience the everyday magic in our lives.

Earlier in the day, after a lovely spa-visit, my girlfriend and I drove by an area of town with fabulous shops.  When we were in high school and university, it was exciting to wander around the area, explore the architecture, and experience the neighbourhood. 

Now, I don't feel that same level of excitement.  Are we becoming tainted?  Have I experienced so much in my life that these things - these neighbourhoods - are being taken for granted?  Am I being numbed to the magic that once surrounded my daily adventures?

After I watched that portion of the movie, I poured water for my little guy's bath.  As the water was filling the tub, I ran my fingers through the water.  I consciously experienced the moment - the slight pressure against my fingers as I swirled the water about. 

And, it felt good.  Really good.

I was conscious in the moment.  Enjoying the sensation.

Perhaps that's the answer... Immerse yourself in the moment.

But, of course, the question is how?  In our 'go-go' culture, how can the numbness evaporate and become feeling and pleasure? 

No comments:

Post a Comment