Friday, May 13, 2011

Trying something new... sort of

Let's face it.  Being a somewhat large woman, organized sports or activities are frightening.  I'm clumsy, awkward and don't readily fit into the entire choreographed activity thing.

However, because I've been sick and not feeling any better, I decided I needed to try something to regain my strength.  I thought yoga might be a way to start.  For a person who isn't an insect stick figure and can barely touch her toes, the very act of signing up for a class - albeit a drop-in class - was terrifying.  Intimidated by the prospect, I still signed up on Tuesday for a 'beginner class' which runs on Fridays - with the hopes it would help my recovery.

I woke up this morning with a sense of dread.  Maybe I could find a way to get out of class today.  T did have a stuffy nose.  Maybe I could say my son was sick, and I could bail.  Besides, T REALLY wanted to go swimming - an activity far more appealing to me, as long as my little man was with me. Panic, panic, panic.  But, wait, I thought to myself.  I don't have yoga clothes or a yoga mat. Argh.  Yes. I did find stuff to wear... and if I needed a mat, I'm sure the registration lady would have mentioned it.

So, I dropped off my boy at the dayhome and ran some errands.  I was running behind, and worried I'd be late.  I returned to my Mom's, put on my outfit (vowed NEVER to wear this out in public unless I was going to a yoga class), and drove to the studio with my anxiety levels increasing the closer I got to my destination.

The class was scheduled for 2:00, and I arrived 10 minutes early.  I told the receptionist that I made it in pretty good time.  She looked confused.  What are you here for? Yoga.  Oops... she said.  I forgot to call you.  The class was cancelled today because the instructor was sick.

So much for my courage.  Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. I know how you feel, I want to try but am too chicken to sign up...

    but I have to tell you, you need a new mirror or something, you are far from being a "large" woman! You are a healthy looking one! No you are not a stick skinny person, but you are far from overweight. Trust me on this one... You may not feel or be healthy right now but you do have the look :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I forgot to mention you are beautiful to boot! Inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Love you, honey! Thanks for the kind words. You too are beautiful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing about you that is larger than average is your heart.

    ReplyDelete